Thursday, September 22, 2011

*blows dust off* VHS? I thought it was a MYTH...

Hoo boy...you know, a lot of things have been happening lately that are conspiring to make me feel old. First of all, there's this:


It also occurs to me that I was born before the fall of the Berlin Wall, which might as well have been a hundred years ago.

But truly, nothing makes me feel older than looking at new technology and remembering the days of VHS and video stores...going in, picking one out, wearing that shit out watching it as many times as I could, then having to REWIND it before physically dropping it back off at the store.

Or remembering when a fucking 20 gigabyte hard drive seemed like more than enough...and when the fact that videogames had graphics in 3D was blowing our fragile gamer minds.

Hell, I remember the StarTAC. Anybody remember that one?
Later models included StarTAC: The NACxt Generation.

It just consistently amazes me how fast technology moves. And that brings me to this wicked-cool/wicked-old-feeling-making post from I Heart Chaos:


This Best Buy circular is like that treasure room at the end of National Treasure. You've vaguely heard of the stuff in here, but most of it is unrecognizable. And it all looks horribly dated now (the "Macarena!", mostly), but back then, this stuff was cutting edge (except for the "Macarena!").

I think the thing that surprises me most are the $2400 computers. Man, and people bitch about Apple NOW...

No comments:

Post a Comment