Thursday, October 13, 2011

I gotta say, it warms my heart to see rich, complacent people scared.

So far, that's the most enjoyment I've been getting out of the Occupy Wall Street movement. The problem I have with them is that they seem more like a wildfire: aimless, formless, frightening, though some good may come of it.

I think they are, like the Tea Party, primarily motivated by this nameless, formless outrage, although I personally think that their goals are far less full of derp. But the thing is, like the Tea Party, any hopes they have of achieving change will need to be met with the force and unity of spirit. The Tea Party had that, but its goals were effectively time-travel. No matter how hard they wanted to, they would not make the U.S. go back to the 18th century without serious societal change (read: apocalyptic breakdown). The Occupy movement, far from fighting the inertia of time, is fighting the inertia of entrenched power...they are fighting an enemy that is multifarious and creeping, that has made a life goal of infecting and permeating as many systems as possible.

But I believe it is an enemy that must be taken down to size, restrained. Like all bacteria, it can be good or bad, and right now, it's leaned towards "abusive". And that's why I'm posting this series of charts from the website Business Insider. It's a rather sobering and more importantly informative look at exactly what we're fighting for, and what stakes the combatants have.

No comments:

Post a Comment